Unexpected Fire Hazards in Your Home
Some of the most dangerous fire hazards in your home are things you might not think about on a daily basis.
Not all fire hazards are so predictable like leaving a candle unattended or smoking inside your house. Some of the most dangerous fire hazards in your home are things you might not think about on a daily basis. Here are some unexpected fire hazards in your home that you should pay attention to:
- Dryer Lint – Excessive heat and lint buildup is just asking for trouble. It is important to clean the dryer vent and exhaust duct regularly.
- Dust – Dust can be a fire hazard if it collects near floor heaters, electronics, and sockets. If sparks fly, dust piles can ignite and start a house fire. Be sure to look under appliances and remove dust buildup.
- Gas Water Heater – Clothes piled too close to a gas water heater can ignite when the water heater comes on.
- Laptops – Laptops running for long periods of time tend to get hot. A hot laptop that is left on a bed, couch, blanket, or other soft surfaces can prevent air flow in and out of the cooling vents. This can produce enough heat to ignite and start a fire.
- Crumbs in the Toaster – Have you checked your toaster crumbs recently? As crumbs pile up on the bottom, a spark can easily catch fire and start a flame that catches on to items surrounding the toaster.
- Leaves in Gutters – Allowing leaves to gather up in your gutters or bushes to over grow can cause a major fire risk. Be sure to clean your gutters and your lawn regularly to reduce the risk of a fire.
Removing Odors Yourself After a Flood
In some circumstances, odors will need professional help to fully be removed.
Any water damage that occurs when your home floods can often come with odors and mold growth that continue to seep into your residence long after the water has subsided. You can take care to eliminate odors and preserve the safety of your dwelling with the following measures:
- Air Things Out - Open all doors and windows to allow air to circulate in your residence. This should help dissipate any lingering smells that remain and will also facilitate drying of the affected areas.
- Dry the Wet Areas - You may install dehumidifiers to speed up the drying process. Removing moisture from porous and absorbent surfaces such as carpet and upholstery can greatly reduce the chance of foul aromas remaining after the flood and can mitigate the appearance of mold.
- Deodorize Your Home - There are natural and inexpensive methods that you can utilize to expedite the deodorizing process in your house. Baking soda sprinkled into carpets or other absorbent surfaces can be vacuumed up and can get rid of foul odors. On less porous surfaces, vinegar applied liberally can aid in combating persistent smells.
In some circumstances, odors will need professional help to fully be removed. That’s where SERVPRO® of West Sterling Heights can step in. If you need assistance with odor removal, our team has the training and the equipment that can get the job done right.
Potential Water Damage in a Home
From leaking pipes to defective appliances, it is crucial to recognize potential water damage causes in a home.
From leaking pipes to defective appliances, it is crucial to recognize potential water damage causes in a home. Read below to learn about the potential water damage hazards and learn how to avoid them.
- Dishwasher - Your dishwasher can cause water damage if not properly sealed, the latch is broken, or if it is loaded with the wrong soap. Make sure any leaks are immediately addressed and your dishwasher is repaired or replaced if you see water pooling on the floor after running a dishwasher.
- Air Conditioner - Your air conditioner removes moisture from the air and moisture can build up within the unit itself. If not properly drained, that water could slowly leak into your home and could potentially cause water to seep into the drywall and flooring. Allowing water to sit untreated can introduce mold, which requires an emergency water cleanup situation.
- Clogged Drains - Clogged drains aren’t just annoying—they also cause water damage and mold growth if left unchecked. A clogged toilet can cause water to back up into the shower, sinks, or bathroom floor with potentially hazardous water. Sewer water is extremely dangerous because it contains raw sewage and bacteria, requiring help from water damage cleanup companies.
If you experience water damage from any of these issues in your home, SERVPRO® of West Sterling Heights has the proper equipment and experience to get your home back to pre-water damage condition.
What to Do After a Fire
Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
Below are things home and business owners can do after experiencing a fire in a property.
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep your hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls, and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery, and carpet traffic areas.
- If the electricity is off, empty your freezer and refrigerator and prop its doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
To address the rest of the fire damage to a property, you’ll want a team of highly trained specialists who have the necessary equipment that can get your property back to preloss condition. Call us today at 586-480-2400.
Vandalism and Graffiti
Vandalism and graffiti can be very upsetting.
Vandalism and graffiti can be very upsetting. It can range from relatively minor pranks to malicious destruction of property. Often simple acts of vandalism, like breaking a window, can cause significant water and mold damage if not addressed in a timely manner.
SERVPRO® will act quickly to remove vandalism and graffiti from home and commercial spaces. In addition to removing spray-painted graffiti from exterior walls, we can also clean driveways, walkways, asphalt, metals, wood, glass, plastic, and masonry. Our highly trained technicians can offer the following services:
- General cleaning and graffiti removal
- Brick, stone, and concrete cleaning
- Odor removal and deodorization
- Debris removal
If you experience vandalism damage or unwanted graffiti on your residential or commercial property, SERVPRO® of West Sterling Heights can help get your property back to preloss condition. Call us today at 586-480-2400.
Sewage and Toilet Overflows
Sewage backup should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible.
Water from sewer system backups should be considered very dangerous. The water is grossly unsanitary and may contain bacteria and viruses that could cause serious illness. Special training and equipment are necessary to safely clean this type of contamination.
There are three major types of contaminated water. SERVPRO® will inspect any contaminated water to determine the type of water and then plan the appropriate response to safely restore your home or business.
The three types of contaminated water are:
Category 1: "Clean Water"
This is water from a clean source, such as a broken clean water supply line or faucet. If left untreated, category 1 water can quickly degrade into category 2 or 3 water depending upon such factors as time, temperature, and contact with contaminants.
Category 2: "Gray Water"
This water has a significant level of contamination that could cause discomfort or illness if ingested. Sources for category 2 water may include washing machine overflow; toilet overflow with some urine, but no feces; or dishwasher overflow.
Category 3: "Black Water"
This water is grossly unsanitary and could cause severe illness or death if ingested, and any contact should be avoided. Sources for category 3 water could include flooding from rivers or streams, water from beyond the toilet trap, water from the toilet bowl with feces, or standing water that has begun to support microbial growth.
Sewage backup should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible. We are water damage restoration specialists with specific training and expertise to safely restore your home or business.
Air Duct Cleaning for Your Home
Make it a priority to inspect the ductwork of your home or business.
Ventilation systems are often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality. Make it a priority to inspect the ductwork of your home or business. If your HVAC has been operating for some time without attention, it could be circulating one or more of the following:
- Dirt and debris
- Other contaminants
SERVPRO® professionals routinely inspect the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Keeping them clean can extend the life of the equipment. This can in turn save you money and give you cleaner air to breathe.
However, duct cleaning is not always necessary. We will make recommendations about the best way to address any indoor air quality concerns. This can save you money and provide peace of mind on the health of your system.
The benefits of servicing your HVAC unit include:
- Helps to restore peak energy efficiency.
- May help to eliminate offensive odors.
- Helps reduce the potential for mold growth.
Cleaning Up Fire Damage
Fire and smoke damage can be the most devastating things to happen to your home.
Fire and smoke damage can be the most devastating things to happen to your home. Once the fire is put out and everyone is safe, it is important to act quickly on cleaning up the damage.
The first 48 hours after a fire can make the difference between restoring versus replacing your property and personal belongings. Our SERVPRO® team can help prevent fire damage from creating long-term problems. We provide timely response with mitigation services after firefighters extinguish the fire and work through the project to completion, including removing smoke and soot removal to contents. These services help to ensure your property, belongings, and memories are restored to preloss condition when possible.
We understand that after fire damages your home, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and more than a little vulnerable. Our technicians will treat your family with empathy and your home with great care. Our main goal is to help your family or property as fast and efficiently as possible. Call our team today at 586-480-2400 if you need assistance with fire damage.
Storm Damage Services
Heavy rainfall can lead to damage to your home or business.
Heavy rainfall can lead to damage to your home or business. SERVPRO® of West Sterling Heights wants local residents to know that when a storm damages your property, our highly trained professionals will respond to cleanup and restore your property to pre-damage condition. Below are just some of the services SERVPRO® can provide during large storm events.
- Emergency Contact 24/7
- Inspection and Damage Assessment
- Water Removal and Water Extraction
- Drying and Dehumidification Services
- Cleaning and Repair
- Odor Removal
When water damage strikes, a fast response is critical. Our ability to immediately respond to a storm emergency helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs. If you’re experiencing water damage from a storm, call SERVPRO® of West Sterling Heights at 586-480-2400.
SERVPRO® Insider – July 2023
Our new quarterly newsletter is here!
Our new quarterly newsletter is here! The SERVPRO® Insider gives an inside look at what SERVPRO® Team Miller has been up to!
After a residential fire, homeowners can have a lot of questions. What belongings can be salvaged? How long does the construction process take? How do contractors work with their insurance company? SERVPRO® has you covered. Our project managers can help answer all of your questions throughout the restoration process. Take a sneak peek at what some of those answers to commonly asked questions are!
Summer is here which means summer storms are on their way. We have some tips on how to prevent water damage in your home and a helpful reminder to get your carpets cleaned so they’re looking their best for your customers. We’re also sharing some fun photos from events our team has done in the past few months!
Each newsletter comes with a special feature on the services that SERVPRO® offers. The service of this quarter: Mold Remediation. It can take less than 72 hours for mold to spread throughout your property, so being proactive is the best course of action. Our trained technicians run tests before starting the remediation process to ensure a safe and healthy form of restoration on your property.
If you’d like to subscribe to receive our full quarterly newsletters, send us a request at firstname.lastname@example.org.